Cranberry Walnut Granola

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I originally found this recipe here, but of course have made some tweaks that I liked.

1 ½ cups raw walnuts, roughly chopped
 ½ cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
 ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
 ¼ cup more almonds, ground up as small as my food processor would do (all the way to flour, if you can)
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
 ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
 ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
 1 tablespoon maple syrup
 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
 ½ cup dried cranberries (preferably fruit juice-sweetened) In my case I had cooked cranberries leftover from making Cranberry Cider, so I used a half cup of those instead and I am glad I did!  So nice and tangy!

 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use no-stick spray on a 9x13 glass pan.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the walnuts, almonds and almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, and flaxseed. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until combined. Add in the cranberries if you are using wet ones like I did.  If you're using dried ones, wait.  Spread the mixture out onto your pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes with a spatula, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and stir in the cranberries if you used dry ones. Allow the granola to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, or if you used the wetter cooked cranberries, store in the fridge.

No comments: