Super Salad Bar

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

So way back before the ice storm happened, we had some friends over for dinner. They are the healthy-eating sort, so I did my best to put together a nutritious and yummy meal that would appeal to the adults as well as the 11 kids in attendance. :)

One fun thing I did was this Super Salad Bar. It looked so pretty, but was very easy to do.

In the big bowl I combined organic salad greens and spinach.
In the Tupperware thingy I had cherry tomatoes, Rainbow Salad (basically julienned broccoli, carrots, and so forth), cashews, yummy Salad Sidekick (the carrot stuff you see there), cubed cucumbers, happy yellow sweet peppers, and some dried cranberries.

You could put something like this together with whatever stuff you've got around the house. Other ideas for a salad bar include:

diced chicken or other cooked meat
cheese
sliced or diced hard boiled eggs
olives
pickles (sliced up works well in salads)
any other raw veggies
sunflower seeds

Use your imagination! The more goodies you load into your salad, the more of a meal it becomes. :)

I also had my awesome homemade salsa for the dressing. (I had some store-bought kinds, too, for those that would want that)

The recipes for the salsa and the Salad Sidekick are available in my Super Salads ebook. I'm having a special on my ebooks right now. You can check it out here.

It was a great starter to our meal! (Tomorrow I'll tell you about the fabulous bread I made!)

No comments: