What about non-stick pans and coated aluminum?

Monday, April 27, 2009

Erica,

You mentioned Aluminum and aluminum pans in your email this morning.
Do you have an opinion on Circulon (R) brand hard anodized aluminum
non-stick pans? They happen to be on sale currently at Sears, and we were
considering purchasing a set.

Our kitchen has a flat ceramic cooktop surface, and our cast iron
skillets are not completely flat on the bottoms and are not recommended
to be used on this type of surface.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

From the research I've done, non-stick coatings look to have some health risks that are distressing. Here are some resources I've found:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/09/20/beware-teflon-products-can-harm-your-baby.aspx
http://shop.mercola.com/Seminars-Dangers_of_Teflon_Special_Report-P775.aspx

Dr. Mercola writes in another article:
Use glass, cast iron, carbon steel, titanium, and enamel cookware. Both aluminum and Teflon are well known for their toxic dangers, and stainless steel can expose you to carcinogenic nickel.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/22/toxic-metals-the-reason-you-still-feel-sick.aspx

I hadn't read about the risks of stainless steel before. Rats! Now I have to think about one more thing.... ;)

I hope this helps!

~Erica

I did think of Visions cookware for this. It is glass-ceramic, so I would think it would be a safe choice. I got a bunch of it back in the olden days when I first got married, but passed it along to a friend in favor of the Revere stainless steel set that I also got, which was what I was used to from growing up. Now I guess I'll be on the lookout for some sales on Visions.

No comments: