A Better Recipe for Root Beer

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I love root beer. In the past it has been one of my favorite cheat treats. You know--pick up a 4-pack of root beer at the grocery store to stash for rough nights after getting the kids to bed? :) Well, I've tried making a root beer substitute with fizzy water and root beer stevia, and while it was ok, it never got to feel *quite right* to me. But now I have perfected the art of a root beer, and I am a happy girl!

In one cup of club soda add 5 drops of root beer flavored liquid stevia + about 2-3 teaspoons of raw agave nectar. Stir well and adjust flavors as needed. Yum! The agave gives it that syrup-y quality that seems to make it work really well.

Now, agave nectar has about 60 calories per tablespoon, so it's not like you can go around drinking this all day without some adverse consequences eventually. But if you like to have a root beer experience every once in awhile, this can really hit the spot. :)

1 comment:

JenT said...

A friend has been telling us how to make root beer extract from the sassafras tree. We've already started using the roots for tea. It smells like root beer when we cut it. :)