Class Member Feedback, and Whipped Banana Oatmeal

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I got this from one of my wonderful class members and thought you all would benefit from the information!
~Erica


Hey Erica!
I loved your breakfast ideas. My girls love the heart to heart and the honey sunshine as well. I enjoy eating them as well. If you sign up at Kashi they give you coupons to print off for 2 dollars off. I know at our wal-mart the boxes are like 2.98 so you can get a box of Kashi cereal for 98 cents :) Also when you print them off if you hit the back button you will be able to print it again. (there is a limit though.) Then they refresh every so often.
Also my 3 yr old loves oatmeal, and I love making it for her it's very filling and full of great things for her. I thought I would share a recipe I use as well as a lady who has a website with a ton of variations. Anyways, I just thought I would share. http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

Whipped Banana Oatmeal

  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup 1% or skim milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 a banana (I’m usually making this for 2 so we split the banana)
  • Pinch of salt
  • Stirred in:
    • Wheatberries (or spelt or rye or kamut berries)
    • 1 tbsp ground flax
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
For two servings, we start by combining rolled oats, water, and skim milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Slice a banana into VERY thin pieces, leaving just a few bigger chunks. As the oatmeal heats, stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats. The oats will take 5-7 minutes on medium heat to fully absorb the liquid. They’re done when they reach your desired consistency! Then we stir in vanilla and ground flax (and often wheatberries) and portion into bowls. Add any toppings you like, such as almond or peanut butter, walnuts or almonds, coconut, crumbled granola plank or bar, or trail mix

No comments: